There’s a lot a book can do to frustrate me, but one of the major ways is to under-utilize the female characters in the narrative. This is the perfect tag to highlight such women now!
I found this tag at Book Princess Reviews.
- Please PINGBACK to me at Kate @ Melting Pots and Other Calamities. Or just Kate. And PINGBACK TO A SPECIFIC POST OF MINE. I won’t see the post otherwise, and I’d like to see it.
- Answer the questions.
- Choose female characters from books, movies, TV, anime, Webtoons, etc.
- Tag as many people as you want, but at least one person.
- Have fun!
1. Name a heroine you like, but whom you feel is always overshadowed by the male characters in the story.
I’m happy to say that I kind of struggled to find a book where I could confidently say the female character was overshadowed by the male characters, so I’m pulling at straws here by answering this prompt with Cassie from Timekeeper. She was a pretty awesome character but since the plot revolved more around Danny, and his relationship with a male clock spirit, her character arc got overshadowed. I guess Daphne would also fall under this category, too.
2. For that matter, name a heroine whom you feel is always overshadowed by the other female characters in the story.
Styx! Man, I want to see more of her! And I think we will in the coming books, but she’s been around since book 2 and we’re moving on to book 5 (or 4, not counting the novella) with little knowledge about her background.
3. Name a character who had potential but was greatly underutilized in her story.
Katrien was the best of them, come on! Next to Silas, of course. She was so smart and so sneaky, she would have helped out more if Elisabeth had contacted her sooner.
4. Name a female character who you either find better in her book than her movie, find better in her movie than her book, or whose portrayals you find equal.
I think the movies really gave Teresa more depth and complexity than the books. She was barely in the series despite being such a linchpin.
5. Name a character who you want more backstory on.
Ykka, the leader of the Castrima comm, is introduced in the second book of the Broken Earth trilogy, and she was so interesting from the get-go. I would love to know more about her backstory being raised in a rare comm that actually accepted her for her orogene abilities.
6. Name a character with traits you feel are sadly overlooked by everyone.
Honestly, Taryn showed how cutthroat she could be in the first book so the fact that the characters overlooked or forgot that trait really came to bit them in the ass by the end, sadly.
7. Name a morally grey character. (Villain or anti hero!)
Maika Halfwolf is probably my go-to morally grey female character. Her choices are questionable at best but as she develops her skills and the relationships around her, I hope she’ll make better decision!
8. A character you’re stunned isn’t more famous.
Tess! Come on, she’s a character you can root for!
9. A character from a piece of fiction you’re amazed isn’t more famous.
I don’t know what the difference between this prompt and the previous prompt is, but I’ll just chose another female character I’m surprised isn’t more popular: Kaul Shae. A boss, intelligent and stubborn in her own way, and honourable in many other ways.
I tag you!